Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Springwatch - WOW!

Having been successful in bringing in a few dozen kites in for an evening feed for the past few weeks I had thought the job was done and that Springwatch would have red kites feeding live on TV.
But, alas, that was not to be as this was the hottest day of the year so far, and the evening had not yet cooled down, so those birds that were flying were having fun high on the thermals while the remainder were just happy to rest in the trees.

I was invited to sit in the control room while the programme went live and had the various workings explained to me. This was something I would never have expected and gave me a peek into some of the work that goes on behind the scenes.
Thank you Springwatch :)
Despite the kites not coming in for the food on the night Simon King, a true professional, was prepared for that, and had plenty of other material to share. The slow motion shots he'd taken last Friday were fantastic. Although I've watched, photographed, and filmed red kites many times over the past 16 years, I was amazed as the 1000 frame a second camera gave an incredible insight into just how much adjustment and precision these red kites put in to that final pick up.

I don't think Simon King could have been more complimentary to what has been achieved with these beautiful raptors here at Gigrin, and I believe he thoroughly enjoyed his experience here too.
Thank you Spring Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment